NDPA Requests Members to Participate in the “Oprah Campaign”
The Swim For Life Foundation, NDPA, the U.S. Swim School Association and other drowning prevention organizations are campaigning to have the drowning epidemic in America highlighted on the Oprah Winfrey Show during this, her last season. It is our hope that drowning prevention will be impacted by the ‘Oprah Effect’. In order to make this happen YOU will have to participate!
GOAL: Saturation. Let’s give Oprah 10,000 e-mails and/or letters with our plea.
TIME: Send your emails and/or letters between January 24-February 14
- Use the letter link below or the pre-written email text to contact The Oprah Winfrey Show (letters and contact information below)
- Enlist your staff to do the same
- Promote this campaign within your swim school, underscore your lifesaving message and have your customers send the email and letter, too
- Recruit as many people as you can; family, friends, facebook friends, etc. This is for anyone involved in drowning prevention, aquatics, or water safety.
- Post this message on Facebook and Twitter
1. To submit electronically:
Follow this link to submit Show Ideas: https://www.oprah.com/ownshow/plug_form.html?plug_id=216
Use the text below to fill in the “Your Message” box. Be sure to leave America’s Drowning Epidemic as your first line.
America’s Drowning Epidemic
Please highlight the vital topic of water safety and drowning prevention on the Oprah Show while it still airs on a national network. Every day an average of 10 people die from drowning in this country, most of these victims are under the age of 14, male and minority. 58% of African American children and 56% of Hispanic children don’t know how to swim and neither do their parents. Every year, nearly 3500 people drown nationwide. Doesn’t that deserve some national attention? Check out this fact sheet for confirmation from the CDC on the incidence of drowning in America.
The Center for Disease Control Unintentional Drowning Fact Sheet
Alloting a portion of your show to this critically important topic could have a significant impact on these harrowing statistics. There are so many myths to be dispelled about how, when and where people drown. Please use your voice to save and educate millions of people.
Or 2. To submit via mail click on this link and copy letter
This a great chance to get our message heard. Remember, there is power in numbers. Let the Oprah Campaign begin!
NDPA Executive Director