1. Take swim lessons.
2. Never swim alone.
3. Swim only where there is qualified supervision. A supervisor should know:
b. First Aid
c. Rescue procedures
d. Have a cordless phone poolside.
4. Never leave toys in or around the pool when not in use.
5. Swim in pools where the water is clear and you can see the drain.
6. Follow pool rules:
a. No glass containers.
b. Dive only in designated areas.
c. No running.
d. No eating or chewing gum while swimming.
e. Wear a swim suit.
7. Use only Coast Guard approved flotation devices while boating and fishing. Do not substitute inflatable toys for adult supervision.
8. If someone is in trouble, find something that will float to throw, or reach out to the person … if nothing is around, YELL WHILE RUNNING FOR HELP!
9. Evacuate pool and deck at first signs of thunder or lightning.
10. Use layered protection:
a. Fences surrounding pools.
b. Self closing, self latching gates.
c. Dead bolts on doors leading to the pool.
d. Weight-bearing pool covers.